Installing 1K resistors on security loops

PaulD

I need to add 1K resistors to my security loops and I failed to get them in place at the end of the loops before the walls were closed up. I am looking for a neat way to add them to my loops near my security panel (Omni II).

I intend to terminate all my security wire loops on a 66 block in my HA closet and then jumper to my security panel. Can I punch down the resistors into a 66 block as a way to mount them? The end of the resistor wires look a bit too heavy to punch down in a 66 block. Has anyone tried this approach?

If the 66 block approach does not work, my next approach would be to use sets of wire terminal blocks unless someone has a better suggestion

Most just install them using "B" crimps in one of the wires right at the panel.
Wire one wire to the zone common. Cut the other wire the same length and crimp one end of the resistor with the other wire. Fold the B connector back against the incoming wire so that the other end of the resistor is going right to the zone input. It can be done neatly this way.

All of my EOL resistors are at the actual devices ;)

Does the HAI panel require EOL resistor or can you just define the zones as 'Normally Closed' and forego the resistors.

It's been discussed in this forum many times that unless put the at the End Of the Line as intended they have no real purpose. Putting them in the panel just created more connections to fail.

On ELK you can set the zone to 'Normally Closed' ...not sure if HAI works the same.

Since i had a contractor do my pre-wire and sensor installation i didnt bother having him buy specific switches with resistor values (i also wasnt 100% set on ELK yet and ELK and HAI use different resistor values) in. The way my sensors are installed before the sheetrock went up there is no way to remove/replace them, if i had chosen to have them put in 2.2 kOhm sensors any future owners would be stuck with that...not like that any panel supplied by your regular ADT's or similar that a future owner may use would work with those resistors...

Just my $0.02

Have you purchased the panel yet?

I just had my security pre-wire done and told them forget about the EOL resistors. I'll be using the Elk since the community support around here seems ubiquitous, and as mentioned already, you can define each zone to not need the resistors.

Yes...I already have my system and I can set up my system without EOL resistors if necessary. Although tampering with the wiring in my situation is highly unlikely, the benefits of a resistor are limited. However, I would still prefer to have resistors in the loop.

In case there is a misunderstanding here, the resistors are totally useless, unless you install them correctly. If you want to install them at the panel, you might as well leave them out. If this is really what you want to do, then my apologies.

I have tried punching them down once, and while you can make it work if you do it carefully, you also have to worry about possibly shorting out other contacts on that block, since they are so exposed.

+1 on just leaving them out if the panel can do it. They serve no purpose at the panel other than to aggravate you and add a point of failure.

You slick talkers talked me into leaving them out. Also makes my installation a lot neater.

Victory... ahahaha

If i was doing the pre-wire myself i would have probabaly put the EOL's in the field where they below..but i didn't want to further complicate the process with the LV installer...

I installed an ademco vista 20se a long time ago and I thought the directions advised to place the EOL resistors at the panel? That is what I did and haven't had 1 issue in 6 years.

I installed an ademco vista 20se a long time ago and I thought the directions advised to place the EOL resistors at the panel? That is what I did and haven't had 1 issue in 6 years.

From what i understand having the EOL at the panel doesn't 'hurt', it just provides no benefit and adds another point of failure.

EOL's definetely have value if placed at the end of the line (i.e. at the sensor)

Anyway..we're getting into a discussion had many times here.... to each his own...since it was impractical in my case to have them at the sensor i left them out completely.

The whole point of the EOL is to find out when there is trouble on the line. I have a fire alarm control panel and EOL resistors were installed at the last device. without that the alarm goes into trouble. These are NO switches I believe.

In a security alarm if the switches are normally closed a alarm condition is generated if there is trouble in the line so I guess there is less of a benefit to really having them at the end of line

You could also pull out the door/window sensors and replace them with ones that have the resistor built in. Easy and neat fix.

The whole point of the EOL is to find out when there is trouble on the line. ...
In a security alarm if the switches are normally closed a alarm condition is generated if there is trouble in the line so I guess there is less of a benefit to really having them at the end of line
Not exactly what you mean by this, but if EOL resistors are placed at the "actual" end of the line (i.e. near the normally closed sensor) the panel will alert you when the voltage "zone" created via the EOL is shorted.

The EOL sets a voltage 'zone' that is detected (supervised) by the alarm panel. When the voltage is below this zone, a short exists in the wiring (i.e. you pound a nail into the line while hanging a picture, or someone is trying to thawrt the system). Of course when the voltage is above this zone the system is violated (door or window opened).

Back